Tracking progress in
ESI Funds financial instruments
1. What are financial instruments?
1.1 The rationale for FIs
2. Exploring the investments planned
Based on the adopted programmes at the end of each year, the chart below presents the total EU amount planned under financial instruments. From this chart we can see the effects of reprogramming. Use the filters to check the reprogramming trends by fund and by country.
Overall more than EUR 20 billion from the EU budget was allocated by end-2020, with around 93% of that funding under the ERDF.
2.1 What are the big investment themes?
2.2 How are the different EU Member States using FIs?
This chart shows the financial volumes committed in each Member State with the total and EU approved amounts and the equivalent amounts committed to the final recipients (the main group being SMEs). Member States committed significant additional funding to financial instruments in the course of 2020, mainly in order to provide a quick liquidity support to SMEs upon the coronavirus outbreak in spring 2020. Moreover, even greater progress was noted at the final recipient level as the financial intermediaries used the amounts to provide financing to the final recipients, which doubled in volume compared to end 2019.
3. And what about the achievement of these instruments?
3.1 Explore the number of firms benefiting from ERDF FIs
3.2 Explore the number of jobs created from ERDF FIs
4. Who will be interested in FI data?
- Tracking progress in ESI Funds financial instruments
5. Need to know more?
- Investigate the dataset used to generate the graphs presented above, which has more details on financial implementation by programme, also down to the level of commitments and payments made to the final recipients (i.e. SMEs).
- The Commission provides more information and maintains a list of annual data summaries and resources on this webpage.
- The fi-compass platform maintains a library of documents, country pages, examples and events here.
- The 2007-2013 ex-post evaluation (work package) on support to FIs is available here.