Cohesion policy investments
1. Investment in TEN-Transport is a major priority under cohesion policy
Promoting sustainable transport and removing bottlenecks in key transport infrastructures is one of the eleven Thematic Objectives for Cohesion Policy in 2014-2020. European Regional Development Fund (ERDF) and Cohesion Fund support is available within Thematic Objective 7 to provide EU co-financing to support a multi-modal Single European Transport Area by investing in the trans-European transport network (TEN-T). Support to TEN-T investments is a subset of overall transport investment, which also includes low carbon urban transport and connections to the TEN-T networks.
NB: This article does not include the EUR 11.3 Billion transferred from the Cohesion Fund to the Connecting Europe Facility for the period 2014-2020. Those investments are not monitored under cohesion policy rules.
2. Overview by Fund
3. An overview of the TEN-T actions ... and of progress in financing investment
TEN-Transport investments are monitored through the allocations made to 9 intervention fields in national and regional programmes. Apart from the planned amounts, the programmes report annually on the decided amounts (allocated to selected projects in the project pipeline) and spent amounts (by the selected projects).
The filters in the chart below allow users
- To look at investment progress annually from 2016 onwards (you can see changes in the planned amounts arising from formal reprogramming);
- To isolate the specific funds;
- To filter for one or more Member State.
4. Member States have agreed different TEN-T investment budgets
5. Tracking investments by programme
The monitoring system also allows users to look at TEN-T investment budgets in specific programmes.
6. Further reading
- 2014-2020 Thematic Guidance Fiche 'Transport'
- ESIF Open Data Platform: cohesiondata.ec.europa.eu/theme/7
- Project examples: ec.europa.eu/regional_policy/en/projects
We are REGIO's sustainable growth team. Contact us at: REGIO-G1-HEAD-OF-UNIT@ec.europa.eu
(European Commission, Directorate-General for Regional and Urban Policy, Smart and Sustainable Growth Unit)