The most visible product of the indicator system 2014-2020 is the presentation of "achievement" tiles for common indicators by fund and by theme on the ESIF open data platform.
- Planned: the target value set in the adopted programmes;
- Decided: the value from decided (selected) projects;
- Implemented: the value achieved (completed) by the selected projects.
Explore the progress over time with a common indicator
ERDF programmes are multi annual, running for up to 10 years. A programme may have thousands of projects starting and finishing at different times. The indicators provide a useful monitoring tool to look at progress towards the initial target at EU, national and programme level, across the project portfolio.
... with data available by Member State ...
Below you can see the country targets (planned), project pipeline (forecasts) and implemented values (achieved).
... and in more detail by programme.
Again use the filters to look at programme targets and progress by year.
The ERDF 2014-2020 : 46 common indicators across multiple themes
How did we get to the current system?
Are there too many indicators?
- different stakeholders have different needs and some propose a broad range of indicators (many already available to them and specific to their region or Member State).
- Another explanation for the seemingly large number of EU common indicators is the very wide thematic scope of actions and sectors financed by the ESI Funds. For the ERDF for instance there are 46 common indicators. Is that too many?
Want to explore more resources?
- Find a synthetic presentation of key achievements for 2014-2020 on this webpage.
- Check out the detailed achievements open data set with its metadata page (API enabled).
- Here is the guidance and definitions for ERDF common indicators 2014-2020. Other ESI funds have dedicated guidance and definitions adapted to their focus and purpose. For 2014-2020 see the ESIF Open Data FAQ on achievements
- In 2018 the Commission published the results of a study on Development of a system of common indicators for ERDF and CF interventions post-2020
- European Court of Auditors special report No 2/2017: The Commission’s negotiation of 2014-2020 Partnership Agreements and programmes in Cohesion
- 2019 Study conducted for the EP Budget Control Commitee by CSES: Performance Indicators for Convergence in Regional Development - How reliable are they to ensure Targeted and Result-Oriented spending?
- The table below provides the full list of ERDF common indicators with end-2017 targets and achievement values.