OVERVIEW OF COHESION POLICY
(Aggregating CRII/CRII+ and REACT-EU)
This #CohesionOpenData story presents an aggregate overview of the values set as targets for the coronavirus specific indicators developed during 2020. Those indicators are used under the Cohesion policy coronavirus response initiatives and the 2021 REACT-EU top up of the 2014-2020 programmes.
Linked to the EU cohesion policy response to the Coronavirus / COVID-19 pandemic the Commission launched in 2020 two strands of measures:
- The Coronavirus Response Investment Initiative (CRII) and the Coronavirus Response Investment Initiative Plus (CRII+) proposed to mobilise EU cohesion policy to face the unprecedent health and economic crisis. The two initiatives were swiftly adopted by the European Parliament and the Council of the EU. The CRII package did not offer new EU financial resources, rather it provided flexible use of existing, unspent resources to redirect them where they are most needed and other financial flexibilities. The range of CRII/CRII+ measures are presented in more detail in this dashboard.
- The 2021 REACT-EU package supplemented the CRII/CRII+ initiatives 27 May 2020 with the presentation of additional EU resources to foster crisis repair and resilience. The REACT-EU legislation was adopted in late 2020. During 2021 and 2022 the additional resources reinforced the ERDF/ESF allocations to 2014-2020 programmes and reinforced actions proposed under CRII/CRII+.The REACT-EU allocations are presented in more detail in this dashboard.
Both these initiatives are delivered under the 2014-2020 cohesion policy rules under which tracking the COVID-19 pandemic response posed a challenge for cohesion policy managed as it is using "shared management" across more than 390 decentralised programmes. The original monitoring systems were not designed to track the exceptional measures introduced. For this reason, on 12 May 2020, the Commission services proposed new financial and output indicators - informal "common" COVID-19 indicators - to be used by the national and regional programmes. The COVID-19 indicators were supplemented in February 2021. Using the COVID-19 related indicators we gather more detailed and accurate information. For more information on indicators see the Commission non paper - Indicator metadata - FAQ - Dataset of COVID-19 indicator targets set by programmes - Dataset of COVID-19 indicators implementation progress (timeseries).
While the Commission strongly encourages their use, the proposed COVID indicators alone do not paint the whole picture (the use of such indicators is voluntary). Moreover, some countries have targeted very specific national actions that cannot be aggregated at EU level. The full dataset showing all the "common" and national COVID-19 indicators and targets is here.
Reading the charts
The charts below display key "common" COVID-19 indicator targets aggregated across both CRII/CRII+ and REACT-EU reprogramming decisions.
The COVID-19 indicator charts on this page are colour coded as follows:
- ERDF charts: Light blue charts for Covid-19 related financial indicators / Dark Blue for Covid-19 related output indicators
- ESF charts: Light mauve charts for Covid-19 related financial indicators / Dark mauve for Covid-19 related output indicators
The charts are interactive:
- Use the filters (top right) to select a specific fund, country or programme.
- Use the drill up/ down buttons (top left) to explore totals by fund, county or programme.
- Click on the bars in the chart to explore the composition of that value.
Master filter: The "master filter" below is set by default to present the aggregation of CRII and REACT-EU targets for the COVID-19 indicators. You can reset the master filter on all charts on this page simultaneously as follows:
- MS: preselect values for one country or more;
- FUND: selected a value for one fund (ERDF / ESF) in the COVID-19 indicator charts on this dashboard;
- "TO_Code": Adjust the default to select the COVID-19 indicator values either for CRII /CRII+ or REACT-EU:- To see only CRII values: exclude REACT-EU which is TO_Code "13" filter TO_code => "Is not equal to = 13";- To see only REACT-EU values: filter TO_code => "Is equal to = 13"
1. COVID RELATED HEALTH ACTIONS
Total health costs covered by CV indicators (total public cost)
Personal protective equipment
2. SUPPORT TO EDUCATION (Information Technology)
3. BUSINESS SUPPORT
Support through grants
The values are in total public cost (EU and National). Some programmes chose to use their own COVID-19 indicators with very specific actions, which cannot be aggregated, but are available in this dataset.
Support through Financial Instruments
Support to SME - IT support
4. ESF SUPPORT TO PEOPLE
The targets for the value (total public cost) of financial support under ESF programmes indicated below were flagged by those national and regional programmes that decided to identify and track using the COVID-19 specific indicator (CV30). The total amount of such support is likely to be higher.
5. COVID-19 SPECIFIC INDICATORS
In addition to the Commission proposed COVID-19 specific indicators some programmes have also used other national indicators. In some cases the national indicators have very significant target values, for instance, for the total funding to be dedicated to the COVID-19 response without specifying the nature of the response (health, SMEs, workers, etc.). Such national indicators cannot be aggregated to EU level. The chart below shows the number of uses of common and national COVID-19 indicators.
(The filter bar below the chart allows you to filter all the charts using COVID indicators values on this DASHBOARD.)
Only selected "common" indicators are visualised above.
Table: CV indicator cumulative targets
The table below presents the current cumulative targets under the CV non paper indicators by fund.
The targets cover actions under all forms of EU financing, that is, financing under
1) CRII reprogramming of the original financial allocations and
2) programming under REACT-EU.
All the common and national indicators used in adopted programmes are found in this dataset .
6. LINKS AND CONTACTS
European Commission overview of all EU Coronavirus measures: LINK
- Latest news with details on specific policy responses by country and region for ERDF / Cohesion fund : LINK
- Latest news on the specific ESF policy response: LINK
- Links to the COVID-19 indicator dataset used on this page: Common and Specific COVID-19 Indicator targets;
Below you find related data stories on the CRII/CRI+ initiatives and on the use of REACT-EU resources.