An EU level overview of biodiversity investment spending
Details of the specific investments actions that are included in biodiversity tracking
Five types of investment intervention are tracked under Cohesion Policy for their biodiversity contribution:
- A significant contribution : 100 % weighting for allocations to the 2 codes '085 - Protection and enhancement of biodiversity, nature protection and green infrastructure' and ‘086 - Promotion, restoration and sustainable use of Natura 2000 Sites'
- A moderate contribution: 40 % weighting for allocations to the 3 codes ‘022 - Waste water treatment’, '087 - Adaptation to climate change and risk prevention' and ‘091 - Protection and development of natural heritage’. These categories help biodiversity protection indirectly by reducing the pressures on it (e.g. purifying of the waste water that goes into our rivers or seas or helps towards the adaptation from changing climates)
... planned MS investments can also be identified for each of the 5 investment actions ...
The chart below shows the planned EU allocations for the five specific investment actions that are tracked in accordance with the weightings.
... with investments progress trackable by Member State ...
The chart below shows the national allocations to the five codes combined and the progress by year (use the filter) in implementing the investments.
Further reading and related links
- Find out more about our investments in nature and biodiveristy in this complementary data story.
- We are also promoting nature-based solutions, for instance in cohesion policy investments for disaster risk management.
- DG Environment home page on biodiversity financing
- 2020 Study for EP IPOL_STUD20200654166 - Documenting climate mainstreaming in the EU budget: making the system more transparent, stringent and comprehensive (also treating biodiversity tracking)