2021-2027 Cohesion policy
EU budget allocations
Following the entry into force on 1 July 2021 of the 2021-2027 Cohesion policy legislative framework the Commission adopted decisions on the breakdown of the EU budget allocations by country and EU fund on 5 July, 2021.
- 2021-2027 Cohesion policy EU budget allocations
1. Cohesion policy: overview by "goal" and other resources
TIP: Use the filter at top right of the chart to filter the initial allocations by country.
2. Goal: Investment for Jobs and Growth (initial allocations by Fund)
1) an initial breakdown of ERDF/ESF+ combined allocations by category of region and
2) separately, an initial breakdown of the ERDF and ESF+ allocations.
The 2021-2027 legislation allows for transfers from the initial national allocations between EU funds and also between categories of region. These transfers may take place and can be decided during the approval of the Member States' partnership agreements, as well as during both approval and amendment of national and regional programmes.
IJG categories of region
Tip: The chart below can be filtered by "category of region" or country to see the distribution of NUTS 2 regions.
Overview of all initial country allocations
The chart below shows the relative (%) importance of the different EU funding strands by country. Given the diverse levels of development and geography the EU funding strands have different levels of importance (the Cohesion Fund transfer to the Connecting Europe Facility is excluded).
Annual profile of allocations
The initial allocations in current prices are broken down by year in the Commission implementing decisions. The annual profile of the initial allocations by category of region, displayed below, shows a steady rising volume year on year. The JTF annual profile shows higher initial allocations in 2021-2023 linked to the front loading of the NextGenerationEU allocations.
Tips to download the underlying annual allocation data for a Member State(s):1. Filter for the country using the filter function (top tight of chart);2. Choose "summary table" (bottom left of chart);3. Copy and paste the table to a worksheet;4. Bear in mind the table may be presented on more than one view screen; use "next" to view subsequent view screens.
3. Goal: European Territorial Cooperation - Interreg
4. EU Initiatives
- Commission Implementing Decision (EU) 2021/1129 of 5 July 2021 on allocations under Just Transition Fund - OJ L 224/4, 09.07.2021.
(See the first dataset under point 3 below).
- Commission Implementing Decision (EU) 2021/1131 of 5 July 2021 on allocations under cohesion policy funds and goals - OJ L 244/21, 09.07.2021.
The detailed open dataset of the initial annual EU allocations underpinning the interactive charts above are available in this dataset.
The initial breakdown of ERDF and ESF+ allocations under IJG is available in this dataset.