USER GUIDE TO
THE COHESION OPEN DATA PLATFORM
- USER GUIDE TO THE COHESION OPEN DATA PLATFORM
1. What is "open data"
3. How to access the data
- Free search (1);
- "Categories" tags (2) - programme periods, dataset types;
- "View types" tags (3) - the main types used are datasets, charts, filtered views and stories;
- Word "Tags" (4);
- "Sort by" tags (5).
4. What is a Metadata page?
- Data description;
- Date of last update;
- Links to featured content, i.e. graphs created by the data owner;
- Key details about the dataset: Usage, owner, contact, licence, etc.;
- Structure of the data;
- Related content (i.e. graphs created by other users).
- In all cases for 2014-2020 the values are expressed cumulatively not annually. Some other datasets have annualised values;
- The data may be presented in annual snapshots. In those cases you can compare annual timeseries, but never aggregated the values from differnent years;
- Financial values are always expressed in current prices.
5. Create a profile to fully exploit the platform functionalities
6. Interacting with and reusing the data
Once you “view the data” from the metadata page the platform offers several ways to interact with the
6.1 More views
6.2 Filtering / filtered views
This tool works like the pivot table in Excel. You must first define the filter conditions.
6.3 Exporting and reusing data
6.3.1 Static export
The "Export" section offers the possibility to export a dataset or a filtered/ grouped view as data file with different formats offered.
- The number and financial amounts with commas and decimal formatting are not accurately imported into Excel giving false results when checked against reference values on the platform: => See Annex 1 to correct set your default excel settings for numbers and financial amounts;
- The .csv file is not formatted in columns: => see Annex 2 to see how to reformat the .csv format in Excel columns and cells.
6.3.2 Dynamic export with an OData link
6.3.3 Reuse data using a SODA API interconnector
6.4 Visualizing the data
6.5 Embed data, filtered views and charts
Embedding allows the charts to be published on webpages by providing an “embed code”. Choose the size or customize it, use the "Preview" button and copy the embed code.
6.7 About = Metadata
ANNEX 1: Setting the correct number format to open and read an exported “.CSV (for Excel)” file
- Open windows settings (in Windows not in Excel)
- Then open regional settings
- Then select 'additional date, time & regional settings'
- Then select 'change date, time or number formats'
ANNEX 2: Reformatting an exported “.CSV (for Excel)” file to display data in cell
- Select the Column A
- In the menu select “Data” => “Text to Columns”
- Choose "Delimited"
- Take note of which character is used to delimit the data elements - either “;” or “,”
- Click Next
- Choose either “Semicolon” or “Comma” depending on the format of the source data
- That should now show you column formatted data in the Data Preview
- Click “Finish” to see the dataset reformatted in an excel readable format