1. 2021-2027 programming
- supporting almost 850 000 enterprises;
- supporting at least 6.5 million unemployed people;
- bringing clean water supply to 16.4 million people.
2. Macroeconomic impact of 2021-2027 programming
- Cohesion policy interventions would increase the EU’s GDP by 0.5% by the end of the implementation period in 2029 (versus a no-cohesion policy scenario).
- Their structural effect on the target economies means that their impact will continue long after the programmes have been terminated, with GDP remaining at 0.3% above its initial level in 2050.
- 25 years after the beginning of the programming period, each euro spent on the policy will have generated EUR 2.8 of additional GDP in the EU, which corresponds to an annual rate of return of around 3.4%.
- The policy will also boost the labour market, with an increase in employment of 0.64% in 2027, which corresponds to about 1.3 million additional jobs.
3. EU investments by policy objective
The interactive chart below gives a complete thematic overview of the investment volumes adopted under the following funds: ERDF, ESF+, Cohesion Fund, Just Transition Fund and Interreg (ERDF/IPA III/NDICI).
POLICY OBJECTIVE 1: Smarter Europe
Overview of PO1 specific objectives
In profile: Investment in the digital transition
POLICY OBJECTIVE 2: Greener Europe
Overview of PO2 specific objectives
In profile: Climate action tracking
In profile: Biodiversity tracking
POLICY OBJECTIVE 3: Connected Europe
Overview of PO3 specific objectives
POLICY OBJECTIVE 4: Social Europe
Overview of PO4 specific objectives
POLICY OBJECTIVE 5: Europe Closer to the citizens
Overview of PO5 specific objectives
JTF: Towards a just transition
Interreg: European Territorial cooperation
Besides the goal of cohesion policy to support
growth and jobs, it will focus on the European
territorial cooperation across
the EU and its neighbours.
Interreg programmes will support with more than EUR 10 billion, among others,
the institutional capacity for territorial cooperation, the cooperation with
partners within/outside the Member States, biodiversity protection measures, etc. It plans to involve more than 2 million persons (e.g. citizens,
volunteers, students public officials), 40 299 organisations and
25 456 SMEs in different kinds of joint actions across borders.
4. Novelties and specific initiatives
In profile: Sustainable urban development
In profile: Financial instruments
In profile: Gender Equality tracking
Authors: Monika TCHAVDAROVA, John WALSH, Dora O'NEILL
Data of Text: April 2023